Thursday, September 24, 2015

Today was absolutely mentally draining. We went through the process of touring all the assisted living facilities in our area and also the memory care facilities at those facilities. I was very impressed with them all but I think we have found the best place for my father now. 

Our next step is to go through an assessment intake process at the place we have chosen and get a letter recommending assisted living from his neurologist. The emotionally draining part comes from the unknown. The part where we hope and pray that he makes it through the assessment intake and is welcomed as a great part of the community that we have chosen for him. 

I also found out some really sad things today that bugged me very strongly on an emotional level. I read that most with FTD die not from FTD but rather from pneumonia. I doubt this will  end up being the case with my father as he is in the group that will most likely develop ALS with their FTD. I think about his future a lot because I want it to be the best it can. I also like for him to be part of the decision making that regards his future. We have already made decisions about where he will live out his final times and this gives me some comfort because I know he got to be part of that decision. 

Well I am exhausted and it is very late. I will be posting more about the specifics of FTD in upcoming posts. 

Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment